Image Image Image Image Image
Scroll to Top

To Top

Featured Projects


On 10, Apr 2016 | No Comments | In | By AM


After the floods of 1170 and 1173 locals of the river Amstel vicinity built a bridge over- and a dam across the river, hence giving its name to the village: “Aemstelredamme”. The earliest recorded use of the name “Aemstelredamme” (Amsterdam) comes from a document dated 27 October 1275. Inhabitants of the village, by this document, were exempted from paying abridge toll in the County of Holland by Count Floris V.¬†This meant it had been allowed for the inhabitants of the village of Aemstelredamme to travel freely through the County of Holland without having to pay toll at bridges, locks and dams all throughout the county. The certificate describes the inhabitants as homines manentes apud Amestelledamme (people living near Amestelledamme).¬†By 1327, the name had developed into Aemsterdam.

Submit a Comment